Services & Societies
Shalom College places much value on providing opportunities for our staff and students to become involved in community service. A number of groups and organisations operate within the College and students are able to join these groups or take part in the activities that they provide.
These community service groups are:
- St Vincent de Paul – this group of students volunteer their time to raise money or organise specific collections to help the poor in our community. Funds are raised each year and are used for a variety of purposes, including sending much needed aid and resources to Papua New Guinea to support the WeCare organisation and a community in Alotau.
Students in Years 11 and 12 also attend our Catholic Primary Schools on a weekly basis for after-school tutoring sessions assisting students with homework and assignments.
During Term Four, the College holds the 'Giving Tree' appeal, where each student brings a new toy or other gift to be donated to the local St Vincent de Paul Society. These are then distributed to our local disadvantaged families.
- Edmund Rice – these students raise funds during the year to assist with the Edmund Rice Camp.
Other Community service activities that students can become involved in include:
- Donating at the local Blood Bank
- Lenten fundraising for Caritas
- Various Doorknock appeals